When I was in college I was on a dance team and had to spend a lot of time in the gym. But then I decided to quit the team to concentrate on school and I never stepped in the gym again. In fact, I stopped exercising almost altogether.
My husband and I bought a stationary bike when we first got married to try to get in the exercising habit. We rode it for a few months and then it broke. 6 years later (summer 2010) we decided to give it another shot and bought a treadmill. I've ran on it maybe 5 times in 5 months and haven't seen much of an impact:) I really do have good intentions, but the treadmill is shut away in a downstairs bedroom and I always forget about it.
Having a set exercise routine and time just doesn't seem to work for me. With 2 little girls and a full schedule taking the time to use actual exercise equipment usually isn't worth it. I have to squeeze in a few minutes of exercise whenever I can, and I use my home's furniture and modern decor to help me do it.
My house is a multilevel and has 5 different areas - which equals a lot of stairs! I run up and down said stairs all day, usually carrying heavy objects (i.e. a 2 year old and 5 year old). If you don't have steps to run up and down you can also use a child's step stool for the same effect.
It's a bit more repetitive but it gets the job done!
Another great exercise involves propping your feet under a couch and then using the resistance to do a proper crunch or sit up. You can do them without a couch of course, but bracing your feet helps the action target your stomach muscles instead of your back and neck muscles.
Something my husband swears by is using three chairs to do a push up.
Apparently you're supposed to put both your feet on one chair and then one hand on each remaining chair. Then you lower yourself up and down in a push up motion. It sounds ghastly but my husband says it works the targeted muscles more efficiently and stretches them at the same time.
Two things that can be done in any room of the house are wall sits and calf raises. For wall sits you just put your back to any wall and lower your body to a sitting position. Then hold it as long as you can. I'm pretty sure that doing the exercise on a really cute wall would make the process more enjoyable, but it's never been proven.
If you are creative, there are countless ways to exercise using objects in your home. To help you get those creative juices flowing, CSN Stores is giving one of you the chance to win a $95 Gift Certificate.
1st Mandatory Entry - Go to CSN Stores and then come back and tell me what item you would love to have (and if you can think of something how you could incorporate it into an exercise routine!
Optional Entries -To increase your chances of winning, do any of the following and then leave a comment on this post telling me what you did. Each comment is worth one entry so make sure and leave a separate comment for each one you do. Also make sure that I have a valid email address so I can contact you if you win!
- 1 Entry for each method - Follow One Day At A Time with Google Friend Connect ( just click the followers link on the sidebar), Facebook, Networked Blogs, or Twitter.
- 1 Entry - Suggest your friends become fans on facebook
- 1 Entry - Add my button to your blog and leave me the link
- 1 Entry (Per Method Per Day) - Tell others about the giveaway (you can blog it, email it, facebook it, whatever - just tell me how you did it) If you're tweeting it, you can use the following or just click on the handy retweet button. Tweet
- 1 Entry (per method)- "Like" CSN Stores on facebook or twitter
- 1 Entry - Enter Another ongoing giveaway on my blog (1 Entry per other giveaway entered)
- 1 Entry (per place entered) - Help me promote this contest by entering it on another contest or giveaway site or linky. Just make sure and tell me where you did it! For some ideas, see here.
- Update******for 5 additional entries, purchase anything from Usborne Books at this link before the 22nd (note - I don't get anything from this, just helping out a friend)
- #win a $95 #giveaway from @Alena1DyAtATime and @CSNstores. http://bit.ly/eehgKF
Giveaway ends January 31st 2011 @11:59 PM MST. This contest is open to residents of the U.S. and Canada. The winner will be selected at random.org and then announced on my blog and contacted via email. The winner will then have 48 hours to respond before a new winner is selected.
The giveaway is being provided by CSN Stores
Opinions expressed in this post are strictly my own - I was not influenced in any way.
I received no monetary compensation for this post