To Make It - Little Girl Tulle Skirt Tutorial
Size 6 Months-8 years
O 1/41/2 ¼ yd waist band material (cotton or taffeta work well)
o ½ yd lining fabric (knit)
o 3/43/4” wide elastic
o Tulle or chiffon (60 wide works best)
• 6 months- 3T: 1 yard
• 4T-6 years: 1 ½ yards
• 7 years-8 years: 1 3/4 yards
A little information:
1) * Seams are 1/2” unless otherwise noted.
2) * You will need to serge or use a zig zag stitch on all raw edges of the waist band.
3) * Tulle/chiffon & knit fabrics do not fray therefore all edges are left raw.
4) * Use a ballpoint (stretch) needle on the knit lining.
**When cutting the Tulle/Chiffon, I gave the measurement for one layer of ruffles. For the second
layer you will need to cut 2 more pieces:: please add ½” to the heighth of given measurement to the
first piece AND minus 1.5” for the second one. Ie: 7” is given, I will cut 1 @ 7.5” & cut 1 @ 5.5”
Size - Waist band(Cut 2) - Tulle/ChiffonSkirt - Lining(CUT 1)
6-12 M - 4 3/4” High x11 1/2” Wide - 6.5” x WOF Cut 2 - 5.5” x WOF
12-18M - 4 3/4” High x 12” Wide - 7” x WOF Cut 2 - 6” x WOF
2T - 5 1/2” High x 12 3/4” Wide - 8.5” x WOF Cut 2 - 7.5” x WOF
3T - 5 1/2” High x 13” Wide - 9.25” x WOF Cut 2 - 8.25” x WOF
4T - 5 1/2” High x 13 3/4” Wide - 10” x WOF Cut 2 - 9” x WOF
5 - 6” High x14” Wide - 10.75” x WOF Cut 2 - 9.75” x WOF
6 - 6” High x 14 3/4” Wide - 11.25” x WOF Cut 2 - 10.25” x WOF
7 - 6 1/2” High x 15” Wide - 12” x WOF Cut 2 - 11” x WOF
8 - 7” High x 15 1/2” Wide - 12.75” x WOF Cut 2 - 11.75” x WOF
Time to sew!
1. Prep Waist band: Take one of your two waist band pieces. Fold the top long edge
over 1/4” Press. Fold again 1” down and press. This is your casing for your elastic.
Repeat on other waist band piece. Opening up your pressed pieces, sew the two waist
band pieces together, RST at the edges, forming a tube. Making sure both pressed
casing pieces are matched up together. Finish raw edges.
2. Finish Elastic Casing: Now that your waist band pieces are now a tube, Sew
along casing edge using a 1/4” seam, leaving a 1.5” opening for the elastic. DO
NOT PUT ELASTIC IN YET! Set waist band aside.
3. Layer 1 Tulle Ruffles: You are using the two pieces that you cut THE SAME heighth.
Take one piece and sew the end to form a tube. Do the same with the second piece.
NOTE: Tulle & chiffon doesn't fray so you do not need to serge or zig zag stitch, in fact
I suggest NOT doing either. Just a simple straight stitch is less visible. Take one piece
and place it inside the other one, so you have one double layer of tulle. Adjust any
length if one is bigger than the other. I alternate side seams by putting one seam on one
side and having the other seam on the other side. Stitch a long basting or gathering stitch
1/4” from top edge. When you start your gathering stitch be sure to do a couple of back stitches
to secure the thread so that it doesn't pull out when you gather it. When you get back to where
you started, don't backstitch! Pull your bottom thread to gather your ruffle.
4. Attach top ruffle to waist band: With right sides together, pin the gathered part of your
ruffle to your waist band, matching up side seams. (Make sure you are matching up the
BOTTOM of your waist band and not the top that you already made for your elastic casing!)
Adjust gathers, if needed. Sew the pieces together using your 1/2” allowance (you will be
sewing with the wrong side of the ruffle fabric facing up towards you!) with the gathered side
up so you can make sure you get all the gathers sewn in. See photo on next page: Set aside.
5. Layer 2 Ruffles: Like in step 3 sew your side seams. Take your shorter piece and place
it INSIDE your longer length of tulle (The shorter piece just helps 'fluff' the skirt) Do your
basting/gathering stitch and do the same as before to gather. With your skirt in the same
position as when you attached your first layer to the waist band, place layer 2 over the top
and stitch in place.
6. Attach lining: Sew your side seam on your lining piece. Do your gathering/basting
stitch, pull bobbin thread to gather. Again, your skirt is in same position as when you
attached tulle. Place lining over the top and again stitch in place. Serge or zig zag your raw
edges (where all your ruffles are attached to the waist band!)
7. Top stitch: Turn your skirt right side out. You can finish here, but for a more professional
finish top stitch using an 1/8” seam (see picture)
8. Elastic: Measure the waist of the child and cut the elastic 1” smaller than their waist. Insert a
large safety pin into one end of the elastic. Insert elastic through your opening. Thread through
entire casing. Sew ends of elastic together, sewing them flat together. Push the elastic into the
casing and sew the opening closed.
You are done! Slip it on your little one & enjoy! Thanks!
**Tutorials are for personal use only. Not for items to be made to re-sale.**
If you would like to re-sale, please contact me for information and permission.
To Buy It - If you love what you see, but are like me and don't have the ability or time to make one, you're in luck. AjsBowtique has a great selection of skirts and leggings for sale at their shop! And between now and Dec. 5th, if you use the code oneday15 at her BigCartel Shop, you get 15% off. Expires Dec 5th.
To Win It - AjsBowtique is giving away a tulle skirt to one of you
1st Mandatory Entry - Go to ajsbowtique.bigcartel.com and then come back and tell me your favorite item and what skirt (and size) you want if you win
Optional Entries -
To increase your chances of winning, do any of the following and then leave a comment on this post telling me what you did. Each comment is worth one entry so make sure and leave a separate comment for each one you do. Also make sure that I have a valid email address so I can contact you if you win!
- 1 Entry for each method - Follow One Day At A Time with Google Friend Connect ( just click the followers link on the sidebar), Facebook, or Twitter.
- 1 Entry - Suggest your friends become fans on facebook
- 1 Entry - Add my button to your blog and leave me the link
- 1 Entry (Per Day) - Tell others about the giveaway (you can blog it, email it, facebook it, whatever - just tell me how you did it). To make things easier there is now a share button at the end of the post. If you're tweeting it, feel free to use the following
I just entered a Tulle Skirt #giveaway from @Alena1DyAtATime and @ajsbowtique http://bit.ly/ayoxoc
- 1 Entry per method- Follow Ajs Bowtique with GFC, Facebook, Twitter and show her some comment love!
- 1 Entry - Favorite an item at her etsy shop!
- 5 Entries - Make a purchase from AjsBowtique Etsy or BigCartel Shop
- 1 Entry - Enter Another ongoing giveaway on my blog (1 Entry per other giveaway entered)
Giveaway ends November 30th 11:59 PM MST. All entries submitted after the closing time are void and will be deleted. Only one entry allowed per method - items cannot be repeated daily unless specifically stated. Failure to comply by this rule will result in disqualification. This contest is open to residents of the U.SThe winner will be selected at random.org and then announced on my blog and contacted via email. The winner will then have 48 hours to respond before a new winner is selected.
Disclosure: The giveaway item was sponsored by AjsBowtique. Opinions expressed in this post are strictly my own. I received no monetary compensation for this post. If for some reason you didn't receive your winnings or if loss or damage has occurred to yourself or you property from participating in the giveaways, One Day At A Time cannot be held responsible.